Wednesday, August 02, 2006

"...But You Still Have The Wrong Number" Dept

I was standing this afternoon in a newly opened coffee shop down the street from my house that I'd never been in before. Just as I placed my order the shop's phone rang. The proprietor begged my pardon and answered the phone.

PROPRIETOR: Harvest Coffee, may I help you?

[A few seconds of silence]

PROPRIETOR: I'm sorry, you have the wrong number.

[Several more seconds of, apparently, talking on the other end.]

PROPRIETOR: Well, that's true, but you still have the wrong number.

[Several more seconds]

PROPRIETOR [still with careful politeness]: Yes, but you still have the wrong number.

[A couple more seconds of silence and then the proprietor takes the phone from his ear and disconnects, shaking his head]

PROPRIETOR [to me, in apparent bemusement]: Well, that was very...

[The phone rings...]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home