Friday, July 28, 2006

A classic legal opinion

I realize that my habit of reading legal opinions for entertainment (just because I like the mental exercise of testing the logic or lack thereof to be found in the opinions), is probably a sign of something disturbing. But this one is a classic to be savored by anybody who has a taste for seeing overcharging lawyers get a well-deserved and deliciously snarky tongue-lashing, even if ordinarily you don't read judicial rulings for fun.

This opinion has been reproduced many times on the web; so, as a special bonus, I chose a .pdf that has appended three comments list serv comments from trial lawyers who -- shocker! -- do not think it is funny. How dare he treat lawyers so roughly, the mean ol' man. The first guy actually titles his comment (drawing himself up to his full finger-wagging height) "It Is Not Funny" -- capital letters and all. To which the only two possible responses are:

1. "Wanna bet?"

That one has the advantage of pith and irrefutability; it has the drawback, however, that I'm afraid Mr. It Is Not Funny might respond by suing you. But I think I'd prefer to respond by asking him the ol' light bulb question:

Q. How many feminists pompous trial lawyers does it take to change a light bulb?
A. That's not funny!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home