Saturday, September 17, 2011

Smitten by pessimism

I'm seeing a Landry interception coming here...

UPDATE, a couple of days later: Well, it wasn't an interception from the endzone, just an incompletion, which (given my low expectations) earned a huge sigh of relief from yours truly. And of course in the end OU survived Florida, and there was a lot of stuff on the web about how Landry Jones had come up big in the fourth quarter. I give him full marks for keeping his composure on the last touchdown drive.

But my fundamental concern is still there -- both his interceptions were "Romos," to employ the highly useful new quarterbacking statistic inspired by the current Cowboys' QB. Jones spent most of the game coming up short (including, quite literally, on the final touchdown pass, which he woefully underthrew) and was bailed out by a much-improved running game and by a surprisingly ferocious defense. I still think that in any big game the Sooners play this year, they will have to overcome a couple of Romos on the part of their quarterback, and therefore I don't see them winning the national championship.

But I will grant that he didn't wilt completely under the pressure of a Big Road Game, which is a major advance on previous versions of Landry Jones; so well done on that.