Saturday, February 27, 2010

Revisiting a great comment from a hilarious lady

My mom asked me today for the location of the free throw post, in which I explained how to shoot free throws with greater than 90% accuracy (as I did in my own high school career)...I think she plans to send it to the UWV women's basketball team, but that's neither here nor there. I looked it up for her, re-read the comments, and rediscovered this highly enjoyable exchange with the irrepressible Kris with a K:

At 8:53 PM, Blogger Kris with a K said...

Great exchange!

Your remark of "because when I advise a man, by George I advise him." reminds me of a comment my russian grandmother once made about my uncle (her son in law's brother...ya folla?)......"when you ask George a question, you should really have a chair handy."

(when you read 'ya folla', you need to hear it with Robert Shaw's irish accent from The Sting.)

At 9:22 AM, Blogger Ken Pierce said...

[chuckling delightedly] That's a great line. Was his name really George?

At 3:20 PM, Blogger Kris with a K said...

Yes, it is. Another: in my dad's family, the word 'actually' is used. A LOT. And it is pronounced slowly. As in: "you are so very wrong; you couldn't be wronger, and I am now going to point out to you and everyone else here the numerous ways I am righter than you, the ways you have erred, and will support my position will nonsensical logic based on half-information and transient theories."

At 12:59 PM, Blogger Ken Pierce said...

[holding stomach with both hands] Kris, you're killing me here...

[composing self] I'd never thought of it, but "actually" said slowly and scornfully enough really does mean exactly that. Subtext is everything, I suppose. [sliding off into helpless laughter again]
I figured you guys would enjoy that.