Tuesday, December 26, 2006

"Last Day on the Job" Dept

My friend Roy sends me several last-day-on-the-job photographs, all amusing (though all, in this Photoshop world, of dubious veracity), but mostly not appropriate for a family blog. I can post the following one, though:

This reminds me of a true story, though I will not incriminate the person who played the starring role by mentioning his name. Many years ago he had a free ride at Texas A&M, but he lasted only one semester before transferring to the University of Texas. This was back in the seriously Mickey-Mouse era at A&M, the male-only days of universal hazing and even more insanity than A&M currently displays. There was a particular form of, shall we euphemistically (because this is a family blog) say, solitary amusement, that was frowned upon by the Aggie powers-that-be of the time. If one were caught indulging in this pastime, one found oneself compelled to wear, everywhere one went on campus for the next few days, a single white glove, I believe on the right hand only.

The young and high-spirited gentleman of my acquaintance, having found everything about A&M unspeakably objectionable, and having concluded that it was far better to pay his father's good money to go to U.T. than to spend four years going to A&M for free, departed College Station at the end of the first semester, no doubt to his and the university's mutual great relief. But in the wee hours of the morning before his train departed, a bucket of white paint somehow paid a surreptitious visit to the statue of founder of A&M university, and when the sun rose its beams fell upon said statue's unmistakably pure white right hand.

5 Comments:

At 9:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Kenny,

This is Kevin from RI. I'm in Schulenburg, not far from Katy until Jan. 17. Maybe we could meet before I return to New England. Maybe sometime this weekend? 401-419-4185. Give me a call.

 
At 1:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kenny,

Glad to hear the family is well. Tell Desi I said "hi." I read her very amusing book. Send me an email so I can respond with my family news.

Lawrence Herrera
lherrera@flash.net

 
At 7:24 PM, Blogger Jim r said...

Geez Kenny,

I didn't think that the name of this post would actually mean YOUR last day.

what's up?

 
At 3:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://www.muslim-refusenik.com/index.html

 
At 2:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm with Jim, Kenny. What's up? Hope everything's ok with you guys!

Leanne

 

Post a Comment

<< Home