Friday, December 31, 2010

My own votes for Sports Quote of the Year

I like the selection provided by ESPN, but I would rank them differently.

#3. "Every second I'm talking to you is another second I'm not at Waffle House."
-- Tennessee forward Wayne Chism, on talking to the media

Don't tell me there aren't people in your life that don't make you feel this way.

#2. Best Conversion Of A Complimentary Phrase Into A Deadly Insult goes to Bruce Pearl: "I've made mistakes, I clearly did, but what I was hoping for was that some other dumb--- would get on the front page and take me off the hook. I miss Lane Kiffin."
-- Tennessee basketball coach Bruce Pearl

And the winner, purely because it was instantly both parodiable in potentia and parodied in actu, is LeBron:

#1. "I'm going to take my talents to South Beach."

The possible variations on this astonishly un-self-aware phrase are endless.

A much longer list of quotes may be found starting here at #100 and following the links all the way to ESPN's #1, which is not the same as mine.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home