Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Saves me the trouble of writing it myself

Thanks to Her Anchorship, I've just come across David Warren on the death of Europe. Money quote:
Then realize, that Europe did not create Christianity. Christianity created Europe. And will create new Europes, wherever its living seed may fall. Christendom is simply moving -- to Africa, to Asia, to the Americas perhaps; to wherever Christ is wanted, and away from where He is not.
To take an example that is highly relevant to me personally: Anglicanism is likely to figure out, in the next two decades, a way to get along without the Archbishop of Canterbury, the last two years having shown quite clearly that the heart and fire and living blood of Anglicanism is now the global South, as the Anglican Churches of England and Canada and America slide ever deeper into morbid impotence and theological vacuity and -- to be quite blunt about it -- global irrelevance.

For some reason, as I read Warren's final lines, I was irresistably reminded of the bishop at the end of A Canticle for Liebowitz, shaking the dust off his sandals before closing the door of the spaceship.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home