Monday, September 26, 2005

Charlie Weis, you might even make me cheer for Notre Dame

Could I cheer for Notre Dame, now? Alas, probably not...the combination of sanctimonious self-righteousness and insatiable greed that Notre Dame has displayed over the past decade, is a lot for me to overlook. But this story at least makes it pretty much impossible for me to cheer against Charlie Weis. Consider that:

(1) The kid would never have known.

(2) When Weis made the promise, he didn't know the Irish would start at their own one-yard line.

There is no gap between what Weis says and what he does. And I can't think of many higher compliments I can give a man.

UPDATE: Welcome, Hugh Hewitt and company. I'm afraid the quality of my posting is wildly erratic. In case you're wondering, we did successfully manage to get our last two girls adopted, though it was a tremendous struggle, and they're still in Kazakhstan pending immigration approval (and our ability to come up with money for the airfare home). The whole saga is blogged at length in a series of posts; there's a master post that walks you through the whole story one post a time, but if you just want to read the most important post in the saga, that would be Two stories. I'd also be very grateful if you could read Zhenya's story.

Oh, and one more thing: any post of mine whose title ends in "...Dept.," is silliness of some sort.

4 Comments:

At 10:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, I hate when we get all sanctimoniously self-righteous about actually graduating the student-athletes that come to play at the school. And I guess the ability to draw an audience beyond the borders of Tex-Mexico would appear greedy to the predicably-underachieving Texas regional NCAA sports programs.

You should get on the Fighting Irish love train, Ken. It's been almost 30 years since the '79 (sniff! poor Earl Campbell)and '80 (oh! We thought bowl games were only 53 minutes long) Cotton Bowls -- let it go. Remember, it's not your fault....it's not your fault....it's not your fault....

Mark P.
UND Class of '79

 
At 11:23 AM, Blogger Ken Pierce said...

[grinning delightedly] Mark, you have no idea how much more effectively you could have trash-talked me if only you'd known that I'm a Texas transplant whose alma mater is that Mecca of high-quality football...Princeton University. I can't remember who the artist was years ago who was singing a song about natural catastrophes and tossed in the lines:

There's Ivy League football to ruin the fall
It's a terrible scourge, without doubt


And you have no idea how true that is until you've actually sat through an Ivy League football game...

 
At 12:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You'll have to forgive the vitriol -- it's a combination of being brow-beaten through the lean years by the hordes of Michigan and Michigan State fans here in Detroit, and being the high school chum of the pompous, myopic pinata of everyone left of Ghengis Khan, Hugh Hewitt.

That aside, I am a devotee of all intelligent discussion, and your blog clearly seems to aspire to that lofty goal. I will be a frequent visitor.

Mark P.

 
At 12:37 PM, Blogger Ken Pierce said...

Nah, I don't have to forgive it, 'cause it never offended me in the first place.

I'll look forward to hearing you chime in. Intelligently, of course; that's taken for granted given your alma mater... ;-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home