Tuesday, March 15, 2011

A couple of conversations between Helen and Kai

The conversations were in Chinese, of course; but here's are a couple of rough paraphrases (Gentle Chinese Readers can laugh at the American Husband Translation Fail by reading the originals, as sent to me by Helen, which I have included at the end of the posts):

HELEN: Kai, you know that when you were very little, you listened so well when I explained things, you were so obedient...

KAI: Well, you still explain things to me.

HELEN: But now even though I explain everything to you very carefully, you don't listen at all -- why is that?

KAI: Because when I was a little kid, I was foolish, and now I'm not!

HELEN: [can't come up with a response]


Here's another one.

HELEN: You know Mama worries about you?

KAI: Yeah, I know.

HELEN: And you know Mama wants you to study hard so that you can have a good future?

KAI: Yeah, I know.

HELEN: And you know Mama doesn't like to get angry, and that angry people get sick more easily and get old faster?

KAI: Yeah, I know, I know.

HELEN: So why do you still go ahead and make me mad?

KAI: Aha! Mom, you're caught in my trap!

HELEN: [can't come up with a response]


----

As promised, the Chinese versions from Helen:

我--哎,你知道你从小都好听道理啊,跟你讲什么你都听,好乖,一点都不用妈妈多操心的

小人--好啊,那你继续跟我将道理啊。

我--但是现在什么道理都好好跟你讲,你就是不听啊,为什么呢?

小人--因为我小时候很傻,现在我一点都不傻啦!!!

我----&*……%¥()&……¥##@


我--你知道妈妈是为你担心吗?

小人--嗯,知道。

我--你知道妈妈是想你学习的态度要认真,是为你将来好吗?

小人--嗯,我知道。

我--你知道妈妈也不喜欢生气,多生气容易生病还容易变老吗?

小人--嗯,我知道的。

我--那你怎么还要惹我气呢?

小人--哈哈,妈妈,你中了我的圈套了!!!

我--&*……%¥()&……¥##@