Saturday, July 24, 2010

Too bad it isn't true

Just ran across the following nugget:

Bono, lead singer of the rock band U2, is famous throughout the entertainment industry for being more than just a little self-righteous.

At a recent U2 concert in Glasgow, Scotland, he asked the audience for total quiet.

Then, in the silence, he started to slowly clap his hands, once every few seconds. Holding the audience in total silence, he said into the microphone, 'Every time I clap my hands, a child in Africa dies.'

From the front of the crowd a voice with a broad Scottish accent pierced the quiet ...

'Well, f***in' stop doin it then, ya evil b*****d!'
I'm a big fan of genuinely righteous and compassionate people, but not of poseurs or of people who do their good works with a publicist in tow, and most certainly not of people who want to be "compassionate" with other people's money rather than their own. So I had to relish the preceding "true story"...but being of a skeptical turn of mind, I also had to check it on Snopes, and sure enough it turns out to be false. [resigned sigh]

But it ought to be true...and I'll leave it at that or else next thing you know I be talkin' politics.

By the way, this is one of the rare times that I've seen a joke on the internet and thought the original raconteur had told it sufficiently well that I didn't bother to rewrite it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home