Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Wendy's Assistant Manager "Did I Say That Out Loud?" Moment of the Day

So I'm at Wendy's, and the lady at the cash register is in her first day at work and doesn't really understand the cash register yet and has only rudimentary English skills, and the young assistant manager knows no Spanish at all and is trying to get something accomplished in the kitchen, and the upshot of it is that it takes five minutes to get from Point A ("I'd like just a hamburger by itself, no combo") to Point B ("Okay, sir, your total is $4.37"). But I was the only customer in the place at the time, and wasn't in a big hurry; so I wasn't stressed out or anything. This is greatly appreciated by the staff, and the assistant manager goes out of her way, bless her heart, to thank me:

YOUNG ASSISTANT MANAGER: Sir, thank you so much for being so patient.

PERIL [cheerfully]: Oh, no problem, I have nine kids and that'll teach you all the patience you need in a hurry.

Y.A.M. [wide-eyed]: You have nine kids??

PERIL [not feeling up to explaining "Well, I have four biological kids and four adopted kids and one foster daughter who still lives with me; so in effect I have nine"]: Yep.

Y.A.M. [in open astonishment]: Didn't y'all even have television back then?

---

As tempting as it is to end the post with that outstanding punch line, I have to add that as soon as the words were out of her mouth you could see in her eyes that unmistakable expression that says as plainly as words ever could, "OMG, did I just say that out loud??" And she immediately started babbling an apology. So I had to reassure her, "No, no, no need to apologize, that was a great line...the line of the day, in fact. Well done..."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home