Monday, May 04, 2009

Um, Rusty, you know somethin' I don't???

The fun thing about raising kids (especially younger ones) is that you just never know what's going to come out of their mouths next.

Kinya was working Saturday night, the 4:00 to 10:00 shift. So around sixish I'm needing to bring her some dinner, and (because Saturday was a genuinely insane day) I didn't have time to cook. She asked for Panda Express, which was okay because Whole Foods is on the way and I needed to stop there anyway.

Rusty and I accordingly go to Whole Foods, where I explain to him that I'm going to just get him a bowl of soup there for his dinner, and then we get some dried mushrooms, and then I start looking for a bottle of wine. And while I'm standing there in the Bordeaux section, out of nowhere Rusty asks:

"Dad, are you still getting a pregnancy test for Kinya?"

"A pregnancy test???" I yelp. "Um -- do I need to get a pregnancy test for Kinya? Do you know something I don't know?"

Rusty blushes a fiery red (quite a trick for a Kazakh) and stammers hastily, "No, no, Dad, I asked, are you still getting Panda Express for Kinya?"