Monday, June 02, 2008

Gratefully acknowledged

Duane came up to me a few days ago. Seems one of the people who are big fans of the kids has been worrying about what this whole divorce thing is doing to the smallest and most vulnerable, i.e., Rusty and Sally, and she wanted to help but wanted to do so anonymously. So she came up with the idea of going to Duane, swearing him to secrecy with regard to her identity, and using him as a go-between. And, having thus solved her communication problem, she asked me, by means of Duane, what she could do to help those two kids specifically.

Dessie's hours are pretty long and brutal, I am given to understand, and all single parents know that it can be tough to bring home the bacon and cook it as well; and so the result of some brainstorming on Duane and my part was the conclusion that, with summer vacation coming up and school breakfasts and lunch being now (literally) off the table, it would probably be a huge help to Rusty and Sally if they had a good supply of healthy food that they could fix themselves with little trouble and no help. Duane accordingly went away to make arrangements and then came back a couple of days later saying, "Okay, she went to Sam's and got some food for the kids and left it with me; so be sure you come pick it up this weekend."

So we go there to pick it up, and...well, see for yourself what he meant by "some" food:


I have plenty of, shall we say, challenging relationships in my life right now. It's not possible to express how much it helps to see people not just doing the right thing, but also going above and beyond the minimum...it helps remind me that human nature is a multifaceted thing and that there are fine and good and unselfish people in the world. So, if you are Rusty's and Sally's anonymous benefactor and you happen to be reading this, please accept my and their very sincere thanks and admiration.

3 Comments:

At 8:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Alduane, where are the two boxes of Hersheys? j/k :)

 
At 12:58 PM, Blogger Ken Pierce said...

My understanding is that Duane, as the middleman, decided that the chocolate items would do nicely as a facilitation fee... ;-)

 
At 2:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I didn't do it... Hmm... Let me check with my twins ;-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home