Wednesday, May 28, 2008

R.I. does some Jewish humor

One of R.I.'s criticisms of my first attempt to retell Jesus' walking of the water was that my characters were not believably Jewish -- because nobody was arguing with anybody else! And he went on to expand on this theme, much to my amusement:

I remember once taking a bus [in Israel]. A mother began quarreling with her son on the bus- and pretty soon the entire bus was taking one side or the other, and kept quarreling even after the mother and child had gotten off at their stop! There is an old joke about a Jewish man being marooned on a desert island for twenty years, and when they come to rescue him, they find that he has built two synagogues. When asked about the second synagogue, he responds: "Oh, that's the one I won't pray in."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home