Friday, April 14, 2006

I actually think this is a very good point

"Teachers say children need more boring lessons to help them deal with the world beyond the classroom door."

It's a short article; read it all.

I particularly like Barry Williams's take (and I suspect he is not really a particularly dull lecturer):

Barry Williams, a lecturer at Hertford Regional College in Cambridgeshire, said that those who believed his teaching style was dull "just don't understand the nuances and subtleties of my lessons".

"When they say to me: 'Mr Williams, that girl is looking out of the window staring at a tree,' I say: 'Do they not recognise the advanced stages of Zen Buddhism which I have brought into my lessons?' I am in fact producing adults who will be able to watch party political broadcasts."
HT: Andrew Stuttaford

1 Comments:

At 11:42 PM, Blogger Solomon Grundy said...

Heh. Funny, as well as a valid critique of bells-and-whistles pedagogy.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home