Thursday, April 20, 2006

"Helpful Computer Warnings" Dept

More from Murley:

First, an oldie but a goodie, which probably won't seem funny to my children because they're too young to remember thirty-reboots-per-day Windows 95 or 97 or whatever it was back in the Dark Ages.


Then a couple that will warm the heart of every fellow IT guy who's ever had to man a help desk. Not me, of course, because all my users are very intelligent and would all agree that BP should continue to renew my contract regularly; but other people's users...man, those people are d-u-m-b.




If you have a tolerance for non-Baptist language and you thought those last two were amusing, then you should absolutely check out what is, IMHO, one of the better point-counterpoint debates The Onion has staged, assuming you've been a consultant enough not to mind the language. But my children are forbidden to follow that link.

Now this last one I would think is just silly...except that, well, there's a certain company I used to work for that spectacularly lost control of their development process; and while I no longer work for that company I still occasionally have to help users figure out how to use their software. Which, for one particular piece of software, is a real challenge since the Russian math genius who designed and wrote that software left the company without leaving any documentation behind, and they don't have anybody left who both can read C code and also has enough math background to figure out what he was doing...you will be shocked to hear that I do not miss working for that company (though I miss my old boss, a very nice and smart guy who for years ran a successful company I enjoyed working for, right up until the bigger company bought him out and took over the departments of development management and of sales ethics)...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home