Monday, January 30, 2006

"Zen for Those Who Take Life Too Seriously" Dept

The Princess provides me with the following words to live by (and also with the title for this post):

1. Save the whales. Collect the whole set.
2. A day without sunshine is like night.
3. On the other hand, you have different fingers.
4. I just got lost in thought. It wasn't familiar territory.
5. 42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.
6. 99 percent of lawyers give the rest a bad name.
7. I feel like I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
8. Honk if you love peace and quiet.
9. Remember, half the people you know are below average.
10. He who laughs last, thinks slowest.
12. The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
13. I drive way too fast to worry about cholesterol.
14. Support bacteria. They're the only culture some people have.
15. Monday is an awful way to spend 1/7 of your week.
16. A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory.
17. Change is inevitable, except from vending machines.
18. Get a new car for your spouse. It'll be a great trade!
19. Plan to be spontaneous tomorrow. [Note: really and truly, I once had a Bible Study leader who was so compulsive about his planning that we once caught him checking off on his to-do list an agenda item called "spontaneous fellowship."]
20. Always try to be modest, and be proud of it!
21. If you think nobody cares, try missing a couple of payments.
22. Raise my hand if you believe in psycho-kinesis?
23. OK, so what's the speed of dark?
24. How do you tell when you're out of invisible ink?
25. If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something.
26. When everything is coming your way, you're in the wrong lane.
27. Hard work sometimes pays off in the long run. Laziness always pays off now. [Note: I actually know the source of this one: it's the Procrastination poster, which is one of my favorites from despair.com.]
28. Everyone has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.
29. If Barbie is so popular, why do you have to buy her friends?
30. How much deeper would the ocean be without sponges?
31. Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.
32. What happens if you get scared half to death twice?
33. I used to have an open mind but my brains kept falling out.
34. I couldn't repair your brakes, so I made your horn louder. [Note: this reminds me of P. J. O'Rourke's classic reference to the horn in his piece on Third World driving: "...your car's horn, or, as it is also called, the Egyptian Brake Pedal."]
35. Why do psychics have to ask you for your name?
36. Inside every older person is a younger person wondering what happened.
37. Just remember - if the world didn't suck, we would all fall off.
38. Light travels faster than sound. This explains why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

4 Comments:

At 7:38 PM, Blogger Jim r said...

34. I couldn't repair your brakes, so I made your horn louder. [Note: this reminds me of P. J. O'Rourke's classic reference to the horn in his piece on Third World driving: "...your car's horn, or, as it is also called, the Egyptian Brake Pedal."]

OK, I've been to Egypt, it's true. Here is the rule: Honk if you approach an intersection, honk if you change lanes, honk if you approach a cross walk, honk twice if there are people in the cross walk, honk if you are about to park, honk if you are leaving the curb, honk if you pass another car, honk if a car passes you, etc.

Now this would not be so funny except that in the summer time, most people stay in during the day, and go out during the night. In order to save - um something, they drive with thier lights turned off. This is true, they only turn on thier lights when they approach something they may be unfamiliar with. I guess this is the braille method of driving, except they are also honking at everything.

 
At 10:46 AM, Blogger Ken Pierce said...

[wiping eyes] Oh, Lord, Jim, you're killin' me. "...the braille method of driving..." [laughing helplessly]

 
At 1:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

God bless you for making the PJ O'Rourke reference. I will always be grateful to him for coming up with the funniest magazine article title of all time: "How To Drive Fast On Drugs While Getting Your Wing-Wang Squeezed And Not Spill Your Drink."

My own contribution:

"Yeah, sometimes I'm off in my own little world, but everybody knows me there." - Joel Hodgson

 
At 10:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

He who hesitates is bossed.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home