Friday, June 24, 2005

Chappaquiddick 1, Gitmo 0

Just thought, since Teddy Kennedy seems to want to apply sports analogies to public policy discussions, that now would be a good time to check the scoreboard.

On a more serious note, would you rather be housed in Gitmo, or in the Massachusettes state penitentiary system? I ask, because any criticism of public policy implies that you have a better public policy in mind, some standard of expectations that the person you're criticising has failed to meet. Massachusettes is a Democrat-dominated state; so, how are they doing? (It would be of particular interest to compare life as an Illinois inmate to life as a Gitmo inmate to determine which of the two was more like the sort of thing that goes on in gulags and concentration camps.) If the terrorists in Gitmo are more comfortable than the felons in any particular Senator's home state, then I think that Senator should moderate his criticism (at least if his own party runs his state's prisons).

I'm officially copyrighting the "Chappaquiddick 1, Gitmo 0" phrase, by the way, for use on a T-shirt. I realize that it is very similar to "More People Died At Chappaquiddick Than At Three-Mile Island" (a bumper sticker I remember from my youth), but I like my phrasing better.

But if a so-called "torture center" can't muster up at least as many deaths as the Kennedy Curse gets in on a good year, then how bad can it really be?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home