Sunday, September 04, 2011

That's very...um...reassuring

It's 3:00 in the afternoon, and I'm about to do some work at Panera Bread while Helen's off on her church retreat and the kids are in youth group. As is my wont, I order a mug of coffee, and then stride over to the counter where four large coffee containers stand proudly, each with a sign showing what time they were last refreshed. I note that the urn for the decaffeinated coffee still shows "9:40" as its most recent refresh time; I thank my lucky stars that I don't drink fake coffee; and I decide helpfully to call the situation to the attention of the staff.

PERIL: Excuse me...

GIRL BEHIND COUNTER: Yes, sir?

PERIL: I just thought I'd point out that your decaffeinated coffee is from 9:40 this morning.

G.B.C: [in her most reassuring tones] Oh, no, sir, the sign's wrong; it's earlier than that.

PERIL: [opens mouth, then closes it and just lets it go...]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home