Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Finke solves my problem

Sean and Kegan turned sixteen yesterday. I had a very pleasant dinner with Sean (Kegan, alas, had a fever of 103; so I left cash for the copay along with instructions for the boy to hie himself, or to get somebody to hie him, to the doctor today...can't take him myself because I have an ARD meeting down in Stafford with Rusty's teacher). There's a major problem with having two teenaged boys turn sixteen simultaneously: i-n-s-u-r-a-n-c-e, baby. So Sean and Kegan have been discussing which of the two of them will go ahead and get the driver's license, and have agreed that it'll be Sean.

Sean and I talked over some possible options for mitigating the insurance bite -- for example, since I buy my cars used, pay cash for them, and don't carry liens on them, I am only obliged to carry liability insurance, as opposed to Dessie and her mother, who like their cars new and financed, and therefore are obliged to pay hefty insurance premiums that would go stratospheric if they were to add a sixteen-year-old boy. So perhaps I could get a third much-used car and put Sean on my insurance (but will they do that if he doesn't live with me?). Perhaps I could get a motorcycle, which would allow me to use the HOV lane on my commutes even on days when Anya doesn't have any HCC classes scheduled, and then let Sean use the Honda (being male and practical, Sean has no objections to being seen in that beat-up old car as long as it gets him from Point A to Point B)...but again, can he go on my insurance if he doesn't live with me?

But you will note that in all the discussion, we took it for granted that Kegan wasn't going to drive because only Sean was going to get his driver's license. Then this morning my buddy Scott and I are chatting about it, and Finke points out something that I suppose should have been obvious:

"They're identical twins -- why do you need two licenses?"

(1) Scott is an evil man.

(2) What a great idea!...

2 Comments:

At 11:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did he tell you to photocopy the license as well? :)

 
At 1:17 PM, Blogger Ken Pierce said...

Actually, Finke's idea was that shortly after Sean had acquired his licence, he should arrange to "lose" it, making it necessary for DPS to send out a replacement...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home