Monday, June 16, 2008

So, if I were rewriting "You Look Wonderful Tonight"...

...I'd torch that puppy up a bit, along the lines I laid out a few posts ago. Something like this:

It’s late in the evening
She’s wondering what clothes to wear
She puts on her makeup
She brushes her long blonde hair
And then she asks me, “Do I look all right?”
And I say, “Yes, you look wonderful tonight.”

The belle of the ballroom
No other girl half so fair
She’s dressed all in starlight
I can’t help but stand and stare
And then she asks me, “Do you feel all right?”
And I say, “Yes, I feel wonderful tonight.”

I feel wonderful because I see the love light in your eyes
And the wonder of it all
Is that you just don’t realize
How much I love you

We dance through the doorway
I carry her up the stair
Her eyes dark and yearning
She lets down her long blonde hair
And then I whisper as I turn out the light,
“Darling, you looked wonderful tonight.”
I tell her, “Darling, you look wonderful tonight.”
I say, “My darling, you were wonderful tonight.”


Since I've recently introduced moral concerns into my pop music analyses, I hereby hasten to say that my fictional narrator is a very happily married man.

Fair warning: I am nowhere near a good enough poet to get something satisfactory on the first shot; so I have every intention of coming back later and cleaning up certain parts I'm not really happy with. (For example, the fourth line of the final stanza was originally, "She wriggles her derrière..." The second draft didn't really work for me, either: "She says, 'Let's get you an heir...'") And when I do, I'm not going to bother marking updates or anything; I'm just gonna update it, blog etiquette be d----d. So there.

(I was kidding about the derrière and heir bit, by the way.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home