Friday, March 23, 2007

Another Luis Miguel note

While I'm on the topic of Navidades, allow me to observe that Miguel's version of "Noche de Paz" is hands-down my favorite version of "Silent Night, Holy Night," and also one of the most effective album finales I remember hearing (excluding, of course, the fourth movement of Beethoven's Fifth). Imagine, if you will, a crisply lush version that's heavily influenced by a big-band swing sound and even more heavily redolent of a black gospel church on Sunday morning (complete with full swingin' and rockin'-back-and-forth-and-clappin' choir), with Miguel's expressive and perfectly controlled tenor soaring above it all in a wonderful Spanish translation of the classic old carol. If you haven't heard it, and you like either Luis Miguel (which I do), big band (which I do), or black gospel (personally I look more fondly back on my days in the Princeton Gospel Ensemble than on all but a very few other experiences in my life), then do yourself a favor and find a way to hear this song.

1 Comments:

At 10:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with you. This song is very good.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home