Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Required reading

Read this. Discuss. I'm not sure I buy all of it -- for one thing, she's talking about the situation in English government-run schools and I have no direct experience with them -- but I certainly am familiar with the American educational establishment's pattern of refusing to allow a program's complete failure, to keep them from insisting that's what needed is more of whatever it was that failed in the first place... Anyway, thought-provoking if nothing else.

1 Comments:

At 10:53 AM, Blogger Candace and David said...

What's always troubled me about the arguments re sex education is my memories of school-based moral education (and its self-evident inefficacy, no matter what was being taught). Remember being shown Reefer Madness? Remember your and your classmates' reaction?

I find far more persuasive the virtual aside MP includes toward the end of her essay - moral behavior can't be taught particularly well; it is learned by observation, and learned best in a loving, intact family (however one defines that).

And if we credit outside-the-family "instruction" at all, seems to me that our sexualized, vulgar culture has more influence than anything taught in a classroom.

Best,
Candace

 

Post a Comment

<< Home